Wednesday 8 January 2014

Like Heavenly Manna!

Like Heavenly Manna!
Like I predicted, this was going to be a special time, and it was. I smiled with inward satisfaction as loved ones crowded around the heavily laden table adored with a lace tablecloth that let the Christmasy green under cloth be revealed so prettily. It had been a lot of work preparing for this highlight of the year and I didn’t regret any of it.
I was secretly amused how one ‘single’ relative devoured the mouth-watering cinnamon rolls, but I knew they were too rich for me, so only had a taste. It was the Buttermilk Bread; velvety soft in texture, and so beautiful to behold that I was eager to sample. And I did. With lots of (I wish!) fresh butter, and my own homemade jam! We had no such luxuries on hand!
Wait! Something was wrong! That bite of bread was not going down properly! I was choking! I ran to get a drink of water! I had thought, surely I’d be able to get away with it just this once! But no, my gluten/lactose intolerance had grown so severe I knew this was it for me.
The bread looked and would have tasted just as good as usual but my throat swelling up worse than ever before was the last straw. (Where is an original phrase when you need it?) That coupled with plenty of other symptoms told me to firmly stroke off wheat bread from my list of favorite foods. Better use a black marker.
But wait! Don’t run off disappointed. That isn’t the end of the story!

That bread represents the things that the world has to offer. You know the things that really aren’t good for you, and are so easy to get addicted to. (You may have your own private little list stashed away somewhere.) Our Heavenly Father knows it is making us sick, and He knows we want, yes; need bread so He offers from His own supply. This bread is so satisfying. Try it. The more you eat, the more you’ll enjoy it. I can never get enough!

No comments: