Friday 19 December 2014

Jesus' Mother Huddling in the Rain

Now, let’s see. Where did I leave off, last? How often will I have to post to get this done by Christmas? Okay, okay, I’ll step out of the picture so you can immerse yourself into the First Christmas Story.

21st Chisleu
December 6th

First light, if you can call it that, I heard a wind come up during the night, and by morning the clouds had blotted out the sun. The Geshem, (latter rains) descended upon us with a vengeance, we were miserable even before Balaam’s saddlebags
were properly repacked. Yosef and I  had donned our thick woolen cloaks,
but it was impossible for me to hang on to the donkey’s reins without
rain trickling up my sleeves. That was so uncomfortable.

We slogged along silently, going uphill most of the way, or so seemed. I noticed that our fellow travelers were not calling out to each other so exuberantly, anymore. The clouds still look thick and dark towards our destination.


21st Chisleu
December 7th
Apparently our Matriarch, Rachael, wife of Yaakov, passed away this season of the year. I surely hope it wasn’t as miserable a day as this.! It is already the middle of the day, not that you can tell by the sky, and we have stopped for a short break. Poor Balaam’s head is hanging down. He looks pathetic. The rain is streaming in rivulets down his shaggy mane and his back.

Care for some soggy flat bread? I think I’ll stick with dried fruit
for this repast. I’m already looking forward to nightfall so we can huddle back  under the shelter of these goat skin tents once more. I know that there won’t be any camp fires tonight. The others are moving around, preparing to start traveling again, so I must tuck this parchment in the safest, driest place I can think of, which is inside the folds of my belt under my heavy woolen cloak.


I am so chilled. Hope I don’t get the snifflesAbigail is quite ill with a fever.
22nd Chisleu
December 6th
Yes, there had been more rain today, but I am not
complaining because it eased off towards late afternoon. Just as the red
and gold of sunset covered the sky, I saw a very distinct rainbowWhat
an exceedingly rare and glorious sight! My heart lifted up to El’ Elyon
in praise and gratitude for His wondrous works. What made it even more of a blessing is that since Shabbat, started at sunset, today, we were able to rest, worship, and fellowship without getting soaked.




24 Chisleu  
   December 8th 


 This has been a very, very hard day. I am almost too weary to write,
but must because such memorable things are happening. My body has
been so wracked with pain. I’ve clung to the poor donkey’s neck, and
let my veil conceal my face so Yosef would not see how difficult it
has been for me. Not that I fooled him for one moment. He is so anxious, and keeps asking whether or not we should press on faster to reach Bethlehem’s khan(inn), by nightfall, or should he let me rest more often?.

As it is, many have tramped on ahead. We are left behind with the roving wild animals, the geshem(heavy rain), and perhaps even bandits for
company. But I do not need to think of that. My emotions are fragile
for many reasons, yet, somehow I still know that Adonai,  hallowed be His Name,  will care for His own beloved Son.

No comments: